Contrary to popular belief, not all dental offices are the same when it comes to technology. Here at Perdido Bay Dental, we use state-of-the-art technology that you won’t find in too many dental practices around Pensacola, or even the country.
One of the technologies we use is an intra-oral camera. This camera is a small, handheld device that resembles a pen, and allows us to take photos and video of your mouth while you, the patient, watch live on a TV screen. The intra-oral camera is helpful in showing patients exactly what’s wrong in their mouth, where they can make improvements in their oral hygiene routines.
You may be thinking, “But what about standard dental x-rays?” The truth is, x-rays only paint part of the whole picture of the health of your mouth and teeth. But sadly, many dentists stop there.
Benefits of Using an Intra-oral Camara
- Patients can better understand their oral health. A dentist can point out a cavity on an X-ray, but it can be difficult to explain or show a hard to reach spot on a back molar that a patient needs to brush or floss more. The intra-oral camera can show the patient trouble spots on the teeth and gums. The camera can show irritations, sores, cavities, plaque buildup, and more.
- Using an intra-oral camera can also provide a history of a patient’s oral hygiene. A dentist can keep track of an area that could potentially turn into a cavity, or detect how much gum disease has progressed. The dentist describing gum irritation and swelling can sound abstract, but seeing it can make it more real and urgent, particularly when contrasted with healthy tissue.
- Patients who can see the problem right in front of them on a screen are more likely to be proactive in taking care of their teeth and gums. Seeing plaque build up up close and personal is different than being lectured by the dentist.
- The intra-oral camera can zoom in on problem areas, and magnify hard to reach places where an exam with the naked eye may not be as effective.
- Oral cancer screenings can be done with a higher attention to detail with an intra-oral camera. Dentists can keep track of lesions and whether or not they’re growing or staying the same.
- Intra-oral cameras can also assist in certain dental procedures and surgeries. They can provide different angles and magnifications that can make filling a cavity or getting a root canal an easier procedure. Dentists usually use a mirror to see what they’re doing in the mouth, but the mirror cannot magnify images, just reflect them. The intra-oral camera can make for an easier procedure for the dentist and patient.
- Having easy access to images can also help with insurance claims and provide support for dental coverage for certain procedures.
Using an intra-oral camera is just one piece of high-end dental tech we use here at Perdido Bay. If you’re looking for a trustworthy, experienced dentist in the West Pensacola/Perdido area, call us today at (850) 542-4428